That is what they fear.
Women. Children. Veterans. Artists. Muslims. Mexicans. Gays, Lesbians, Bisexuals, Gypsies, Trans people, Syrians. Park Rangers, astronauts, First Nations, and the very air we breathe.
Where did it start, the unraveling of Drumpfiana? When they tried to shut up park rangers, after the wall, before the wall, the animated gif of him scowling at Melania.
What will stop him? RogueNASA, Sanctuary Cities, altEverythingNotTrump?
Grants cut. Climate change silenced, yet sprouted up again in a thousand tweets by Badass Park Rangers.
His grubby tiny hands deep in the pipeline, he and his dinosaurs conspire to ravage Dakota, which is already spilling.
Gay rights shoved back decades, in an "Orwellina nightmare," to before Drumpf mentor Roy Cohn's could imagine such grand-scale evil a mere glimpse in the corner of his bugged out eye.
But let's talk books.
This is supposed to be a blog about books, occasionally mine.
I'll just add that Reid Conniff, my teen botanist who works as a park ranger in Every Time I Think of You and Message of Love, would probably be the guy alt-tweeting from the Headlands or the Allegheny Plateau. He and Everett would be in the fight, and pissed off.
Elsewhere, in piss-off publishing: Gay fascist Milo's Simon & Schuster book deal's getting razzed in every one of S&S's Facebook posts, and author Roxane Gay has cut ties with the conglomopublisher.
"I guess I’m putting my money where my mouth is," said Gay. "And to be clear, this isn’t about censorship. Milo has every right to say what he wants to say, however distasteful I and many others find it to be. He doesn’t have a right to have a book published by a major publisher but he has, in some bizarre twist of fate, been afforded that privilege. So be it. I’m not interested in doing business with a publisher willing to grant him that privilege."
S&S (or, SS, we should call them) are doubtlessly sighing mildly over the loss of a major voice in so many human issues. Another publisher better grab that book and get it out.
Meanwhile, SS are probably relishing the violence and the shooting by a Trumpite, who allegedly set it up with Milo the gay fascist. and thank him for all that free publicity. More coverage of the shooting's here.
Just think what they'll whip up for the book release party. Packs of rabid Dobermans?
But here's good news, everyone!.. at least in publishing.
George Orwell's 1984 is once again a bestseller.
- as an explanation for "alternative facts" spurred by the Hydra
- as a warning for those mentioned up top, that which the Trump train despises–us,
- and unfortunately for THEM, as a playbook.
In news publishing, if you're at a protest, felony charges for you!
In music publishing, if you're a rock icon, you can get away with more.
Here is Roger Waters' updated take on Pink Floyd's "Pigs" from Animals.
It was performed in Mexico City, the night Trumpocalypse landed.
In Mexico, the quotes from Herr T. are Spanish, and English-captioned in the Rolling Stone clip.
And finally –well, it's actually just beginning, isn't it?
In self-publishing, here is ... (drum roll, please)
EVERY EVIL THING TRUMPCO HAS DONE IN THE FIRST WEEK,,
with a link to updates.
Until that gets shut down.
A list of actions taken or proclamations made by the government of the United States of America and its states from the day before DT’s inauguration, as well as reactions to those actions and proclamations by the People of the United States of America.
THURSDAY, JANUARY 19TH, 2017 (The day before the inauguration)
- On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the DOJ’s Violence Against Women programs. (Source: http://time.com/money/4639544/trump-nea-sesame-street-budget-cut/)
- On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the National Endowment for the Arts. (Source: http://time.com/money/4639544/trump-nea-sesame-street-budget-cut/)
- On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the National Endowment for the Humanities. (Source: http://time.com/money/4639544/trump-nea-sesame-street-budget-cut/)
- On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. (Source: http://time.com/money/4639544/trump-nea-sesame-street-budget-cut/)
- On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Minority Business Development Agency. (Source: http://time.com/money/4639544/trump-nea-sesame-street-budget-cut/)
- On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Economic Development Administration. (Source: http://time.com/money/4639544/trump-nea-sesame-street-budget-cut/)
- On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the International Trade Administration. (Source: http://time.com/money/4639544/trump-nea-sesame-street-budget-cut/)
- On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Manufacturing Extension Partnership. (Source: http://time.com/money/4639544/trump-nea-sesame-street-budget-cut/)
- On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Office of Community Oriented Policing Services. (Source: http://time.com/money/4639544/trump-nea-sesame-street-budget-cut/)
- On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Legal Services Corporation. (Source: http://time.com/money/4639544/trump-nea-sesame-street-budget-cut/)
- On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Civil Rights Division of the DOJ. (Source: http://time.com/money/4639544/trump-nea-sesame-street-budget-cut/)
- On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Environmental and Natural Resources Division of the DOJ. (Source: http://time.com/money/4639544/trump-nea-sesame-street-budget-cut/)
- On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Overseas Private Investment Corporation. (Source: http://time.com/money/4639544/trump-nea-sesame-street-budget-cut/)
- On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. (Source: http://time.com/money/4639544/trump-nea-sesame-street-budget-cut/)
- On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Office of Electricity Deliverability and Energy Reliability. (Source: http://time.com/money/4639544/trump-nea-sesame-street-budget-cut/)
- On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy. (Source: http://time.com/money/4639544/trump-nea-sesame-street-budget-cut/)
- On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Office of Fossil Energy. (Source: http://time.com/money/4639544/trump-nea-sesame-street-budget-cut/)
FRIDAY, JANUARY 20TH, 2017 (The day of the inauguration)
- On January 20th, 2017, DT ordered all regulatory powers of all federal agencies frozen. (Source: http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/20/politics/reince-priebus-regulations-memo/)
- On January 20th, 2017, DT ordered the National Parks Service to stop using social media after RTing factual, side by side photos of the crowds for the 2009 and 2017 inaugurations. (Source: http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/21/politics/trump-national-park-service-tweets/)
- On January 20th, 2017, roughly 230 protesters were arrested in DC and face unprecedented felony riot charges. Among them were legal observers, journalists, and medics. (Source 1: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/inauguration-day-protests-felony-rioting-charges-federal-prosecutors-say/ Source 2: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/jan/24/journalists-charged-felonies-trump-inauguration-unrest?CMP=share_btn_tw)
- On January 20th, 2017, a member of the International Workers of the World was shot in the stomach at an anti-fascist protest in Seattle. He remains in critical condition. (Source: https://iww.org/de/content/fellow-worker-and-gdc-member-shot-anti-fascist-protest-seattle)
SATURDAY, JANUARY 21ST, 2017 (The day of the Women’s March)
- On January 21st, 2017, DT brought a group of 40 cheerleaders to a meeting with the CIA to cheer for him during a speech that consisted almost entirely of framing himself as the victim of dishonest press. (Source: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sources-say-theres-a-sense-of-unease-in-intel-community-after-trump-cia-visit/)
- On January 21st, 2017, the Facebook page of the College Republicans at the University of Washington who hosted the event where a protester was shot in the stomach issued a statement that, among other things, contained the threat “If you keep prodding the right you may be unpleasantly surprised what the outcome will be. Youve obviously learned nothing after Trump’s election..” [all punctuation errors and omissions in original statement] (Source: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1181178281989153&id=171403456299979)
- On January 21st, 2017, White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer held a press conference largely to attack the press for accurately reporting the size of attendance at the inaugural festivities, saying that the inauguration had the largest audience of any in history, “period.” (Source: http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017/01/21/sean-spicer-entire-defends-inauguration-crowd-size-sot.cnn)
SUNDAY, JANUARY 22ND, 2017
- On January 22nd, 2017, White House advisor Kellyanne Conway defended Spicer’s lies as “alternative facts” on national television news. (Source: http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/22/politics/kellyanne-conway-alternative-facts/)
- On January 22nd, 2017, DT appeared to blow a kiss to director James Comey during a meeting with the FBI, and then opened his arms in a gesture of strange, paternal affection, before hugging him with a pat on the back. (Source [reporting is debatable, but video is available here]: https://www.rawstory.com/2017/01/pres-trump-nuzzles-fbi-director-james-comeys-cheek-after-blowing-him-a-kiss-at-white-house-event/)
MONDAY, JANUARY 23RD, 2017
- On January 23rd, 2017, DT reinstated the global gag order, which defunds international organizations that even mention abortion as a medical option. (Source 1: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2017/01/trump_s_global_gag_rule_is_even_worse_than_it_seemed.html Source 2: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/trump-reinstates-reagan-era-anti-abortion-policy-n710081)
- On January 23rd, 2017, Spicer said that the US will not tolerate China’s expansion onto islands in the South China Sea, essentially threatening war with China. (Source: http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/23/politics/sean-spicer-press-briefing-day-one/)
- On January 23rd, 2017, DT repeated the lie that 3-5 million people voted “illegally” thus costing him the popular vote. (Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/23/us/politics/donald-trump-congress-democrats.html?_r=0)
- On January 23rd, 2017, it was announced that the man who shot the anti-fascist protester in Seattle was released without charges, despite turning himself in. (Source: http://patch.com/washington/seattle/uw-police-release-suspect-shooting-yiannopolous-protest)
- On January 23rd, 2017, DT files an executive order full of nationalist language and ethno-centric dog whistling proclaiming January 20th, 2017, the day of his inauguration, as a national holiday, "National Day of Patriotic Devotion, in order to strengthen our bonds to each other and to our country -- and to renew the duties of Government to the people." (Source: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2017/01/24/2017-01798/national-day-of-patriotic-devotion)
- On January 23rd, 2017, DT names Ajit Pai to Director of Federal Communications Commission. Pai is an outspoken opponent of net neutrality, and has said that its “days are numbered.” (Source: http://nymag.com/selectall/2017/01/say-goodbye-to-the-last-pillar-of-the-free-open-internet.html?mid=twitter_nymag)
TUESDAY, JANUARY 24TH, 2017
- On January 24th, 2017, Spicer reiterated that DT believes the lie that 3-5 million people voted “illegally” thus costing DT the popular vote. (Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/24/us/politics/donald-trump-administration.html)
- On January 24th, 2017, DT tweeted a picture from his personal Twitter account of a photo he says depicts the crowd at his inauguration and will hang in the White House press room. The photo is curiously dated January 21st, 2017, the day AFTER the inauguration and the day of the Women’s March, the largest inauguration related protest in history. [Transparency note: a previous version of this item took for granted a tweet claiming this was a photo of Barack Obama’s first inauguration. Since comparing the photos side by side, it does not appear that this is the case.] (Source 1, original tweet: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/823937936056008704 Source 2, screenshot: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C29SZfMXUAA8HN_.jpg:large)
- On January 24th, 2017, the EPA was ordered to stop communicating with the public through social media or the press and to freeze all grants and contracts. (Source: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/president-trump-administration-orders-epa-media-blackout-contract-freeze/)
- On January 24th, 2017, the USDA was ordered to stop communicating with the public through social media or the press and to stop publishing any papers or research. All communication with the press would also have to be authorized and vetted by the White House. (Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/president-trump-institutes-media-blackouts-epa-usda-article-1.2954647 Source 2: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-epa-biofuels-idUSKBN1582M3?il=0)
- On January 24th, 2017, HR7, a bill that would prohibit federal funding not only to abortion service providers, but to any insurance coverage, including Medicaid, that provides abortion coverage, went to the floor of the House for a vote. (Source 1: http://www.cosmopolitan.com/politics/a8635781/house-passes-hr7/ Source 2, text of the bill: https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/7/text)
- On January 24th, 2017, Director of the Department of Health and Human Service nominee Tom Price, who characterized federal guidelines on transgender equality as “absurd,” continues his confirmation hearing. (Source 1, Facebook post by Tom Price: https://www.facebook.com/reptomprice/posts/10154118633590421 Source 2, confirmation hearing: http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/24/politics/tom-price-nomination-hearing-finance/)
- On January 24th, 2017, DT ordered the resumption of construction on the Dakota Access Pipeline, while the North Dakota state congress considers a bill that would legalize hitting and killing protesters with cars if they are on roadways. (Source 1, Dakota Access Pipeline executive order: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/24/us/politics/keystone-dakota-pipeline-trump.html Source 2, North Dakota protester assault legalization bill: http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/dakota-pipeline-protests/pipeline-protesters-decry-north-dakota-bills-criminalize-protests-n706681)
- On January 24th, 2017, it was discovered that police officers had used confiscated cell phones to search the emails and messages of the 230 demonstrators now facing felony riot charges for protesting on January 20th, including lawyers and journalists whose email accounts contain privileged information of clients and sources. (Source: http://www.citylab.com/crime/2017/01/are-police-searching-inauguration-protesters-phones/514244/)
- On January 24th, 2017, responding to criticism from the NAACP about a lack of attention to Civil Rights policy and bridge-building by the current administration, Spicer claimed of DT, “Just the other day, he sat down with Martin Luther King, Jr.," clearly unaware that Martin Luther King, Jr. is long dead, and that the man that DT met with was his son, Martin Luther King, III. (Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/spicer-trump-met-martin-luther-king-jr-article-1.2954571)
- On January 24th, 2017, the Badlands National Park Service, perhaps as an act of resistance in response to DT's order last week to shut down all Twitter accounts temporarily in response to the main National Parks Service's sharing of photos comparing the size of the inauguration crowds in 2009 and 2017, tweeted 3 times from their account (@BadlandsNPS) on the subject of global warming, particularly ocean acidification and carbon dioxide levels. Captured in screenshots and shared by Twitter user @leahmcelrath, the tweets were deleted less than an hour after she shared them. (Source 1: http://nymag.com/selectall/2017/01/national-park-service-tweets-about-climate-change-over-trump.html Source 2: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38740205)
- On January 24th, 2017, DT threatened a federal takeover of the city of Chicago from his personal Twitter account, proving that he has zero grasp of the constitution, states rights, or the 10th amendment. The information in his tweet and much of the wording is taken nearly word for word from a Bill O’Reilly segment on Fox News. (Source 1, original DT tweet: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/824080766288228352 Source 2, screenshot of DT tweet: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2-_E9BWIAQhYUz.jpg:large Source 3, tweet referring to Fox News Segment: https://twitter.com/mlcalderone/status/824084122561871872 Source 4, screenshot of tweet referring to Fox News segment: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2-8B87XcAEYiru.jpg)
- On January 24th, 2017, DT specifically praised Fox News for their ratings during the inauguration coverage, while criticizing CNN’s and calling the latter “FAKE NEWS.” (Source 1, original tweet: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/824078417213747200 Source 2, screenshot of tweet: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2_Jfq6WIAAdK0j.jpg)
- On January 24th, 2017, the White House orders the EPA to take down its climate change webpage, fulfilling the fears of government climate scientists who scrambled to save their research before the inauguration. (Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-epa-climatechange-idUSKBN15906G)
- On January 24th, 2017, scientists begin organizing a march on Washington to protest the administration’s hostility toward science. (Source 1, website: http://www.scientistsmarchonwashington.com/ Source 2, Twitter account: https://twitter.com/ScienceMarchDC Source 3, Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2017/01/24/are-scientists-going-to-march-on-washington/?postshare=7811485307292866&tid=ss_tw-bottom&utm_term=.c8dda0b1dc29)
- On January 24th, 2017, DT announced that he will have a “big day” for National Security tomorrow, including the building of the wall, in a misspelled tweet, since deleted and reposted. God help us. (Source: http://mashable.com/2017/01/25/trump-border-wall-amoung-tweet/?utm_cid=mash-com-Tw-main-link#u5k.KijOQiqD)
- On January 24th, 2017, in response to public outcry, the Department of Agriculture lifted the gag order on its scientists. No such rescinding of media blackout has been granted to the Environmental Protection Agency. (Source: https://www.buzzfeed.com/dinograndoni/trump-agriculture-department?utm_term=.smrGAKagV#.fqEWg1j8Z)
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 25TH, 2017
- On January 25th, 2017, DT announced in a pair of tweets from his personal Twitter account that he will order an investigation into “massive voter fraud” for an election he won, setting the stage for further legal undermining of voting rights. Of note is that he specifically mentions those who are registered to vote in two states. Steve Bannon, Chief White House Strategist and noted white supremacist, is registered to vote in 2 states. (Source, tweet 1: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/824227824903090176 Source, tweet 2: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/824228768227217408 Source 3, RE: Steve Bannon: http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/pages/ciyd1t8md005sojy69w6c5jmu.html)
- On January 25th, 2017, DT announced on Twitter, again from his personal Twitter account, that he will be announcing his Supreme Court nomination on Thursday of next week. (Source, tweet: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/824229586091307008)
- On January 25th, 2017, National Public Radio publicly announced that they would not call lies on the part of DT and White House representatives “lies.” (Source: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/01/25/511503605/npr-and-the-l-word-intent-is-key)
- On January 25th, 2017, Politico published a story highlighting 3 prominent DT acolytes, bolstered by DT’s success, now mounting campaigns of their own to run for office in much the same way that DT did and on the same platforms. Among them are Alan Cobb, who will be running for the 4th district of Kansas congressional seat, who was quoted as saying, “I would wholeheartedly support the Trump agenda. It’s all consistent with what’s best for the 4th District,” and Bruce Levell, who plans to run for a suburban district of Atlanta, who was quoted as saying, “I’d like to see someone in that seat who’s a champion of Trump’s policies. I’d like to be that champion.” (Source: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-boosters-seek-office-234134)
- On January 25th, 2017, in full view of the White House, Greenpeace protestors unfurl a banner on a crane that reads, simply, “RESIST.” (Source: https://twitter.com/marikatogo/status/824278392149344256)
- On January 25th, 2017, the Washington Post and New York Times both reported that a draft of an executive order by DT would lift the ban on CIA “black site” prisons to detain and torture suspects of terrorism. (Source 1: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/25/us/politics/cia-detainee-prisons.html?_r=0 Source 2: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/white-house-draft-order-calls-for-review-on-use-of-cia-black-sites-overseas/2017/01/25/e4318970-e310-11e6-a547-5fb9411d332c_story.html?utm_term=.b5438f79f9d1)
- On January 25th, 2017, clearly upset by negative press related to all of the above, the White House issues a press release with pull quotes from various ring wing media praising DT, as well as neutral commentary by other outlets. (Source 1: http://www.politico.com/blogs/donald-trump-administration/2017/01/trump-team-sends-press-a-note-about-how-much-the-press-loves-trump-234160 Source 2: https://twitter.com/mmurraypolitics/status/824264894606442496 Source 3, full text of the press release: https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/01/25/praise-president-trumps-bold-action)
- On January 25th, 2017, Spicer confirmed that there will be investigations of voter fraud prompted by baseless accusations of DT that massive voter fraud occurred. These investigations would focus on large urban population centers that DT lost, and are most likely to have voters vulnerable to being mislabeled fraudulent because they have moved to a new state or city and were unaware that their names were still on previous rolls. (Source 1: http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/25/politics/trump-calls-for-major-investigation-into-voter-fraud/ Source 2: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/25/us/politics/trump-voting-fraud-false-claim-investigation.html)
- On January 25th, 2017, DT signed an executive order to build a wall along the entire border between the United States and Mexico, still claiming that he will somehow make Mexico reimburse the United States for said wall. (Source 1: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/01/trump-signs-order-border-wall-mexico-170125185244055.html Source 2: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38740717)
- On January 25th, 2017, DT signed an executive order blocking all federal aid to US Sanctuary Cities, including but not limited to San Diego, Los Angeles, Seattle, Denver, Austin and Boston. The Attorney General will be responsible for determining whether or not a city is complying with the executive order and thus eligible for federal aid. The current candidate for Attorney General, Jeff Sessions, has previously called for a “Muslim ban,” though he did backtrack in his confirmation hearing in early January. The text also says that the DT administration will publish a weekly list of crimes committed by undocumented immigrants in Sanctuary Cities. (Source 1: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38740717 Source 2: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/01/trump-signs-order-border-wall-mexico-170125185244055.html Source 3: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jan/10/sessions-backs-off-muslim-ban-confirmation-hearing/ Source 4 and 5, tweets with screenshots of text of Sanctuary City ban, to be updated when the executive order is officially filed: https://twitter.com/christinawilkie/status/824347165208248320 https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/824348441505648648)
- On January 25th, 2017, journalists pointed out that an executive order expected to be signed later today or this week by DT which would ban not only refugee asylum but issuing visas at all to citizens of predominantly Muslim nations would apply only to Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen, but not to those from Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and Turkey, three nations where DT has businesses. While a ban on anyone from any nation based on religion is ludicrous, racist, ethnicist, and in the case of countries in the midst of horrifying civil wars, cruel, it should be noted that:
- Islam is the state religion of Egypt, with a population density of anywhere from 80-97%. (Source, CIA: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/eg.html)
- While Turkey is, for the time being, still in name a secular country, 99.8% of the country identifies as Muslim. (Source: http://www.wingia.com/web/files/news/14/file/14.pdf)
- Islam is the state religion of Saudi Arabia, with a population density of nearly 100% of its citizens identifying as Muslims. (Source, CIA: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/sa.html)
(Source for news item: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-immigration-exclusive-idUSKBN1582XQ Source 2: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/12/08/where-donald-trump-does-business-in-muslim-countries/?utm_term=.f5613d7291b8 Source 3: http://money.cnn.com/2015/12/08/news/donald-trump-muslim-countries-business/ Source 4: https://mic.com/articles/130070/here-are-some-of-donald-trump-s-middle-east-business-ventures#.tln4BPvaQ)
- On January 25th, 2017, after announcing that the White House would investigate “voter fraud” in large metropolitan areas, Spicer declared, officially, without any investigation whatsoever, that no voter fraud existed in Philadelphia, Milwaukee, or Detroit. All three cities are in states DT won by small margins, had previously gone to democrat candidates, and were subject to recount efforts by Jill Stein and the Green Party shortly after the upset election. (Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/01/25/sean-spicer-makes-it-official-no-voter-fraud-in-philadelphia-milwaukee-or-detroit/?utm_term=.399f71897b91)
- On January 25th, 2017, Newsweek reported that several high level DT administration staffers, among them Jared Kushner, Kellyanne Conway, Steve Bannon, and Sean Spicer, have private RNC email addresses, despite repeated insistence by DT, his campaign, his supporters, several press outlets, and even DT detractors claiming that use of a private email server by candidate Hillary Clinton when she was Secretary of State was grounds for disqualifying her from office. (Source: http://www.newsweek.com/trump-emails-rnc-reince-priebus-white-house-server-548191)
- On January 25th, 2017, as an aside in an article about DT’s love of the White House phone system, the New York Times reported that DT is still using his unsecured Android phone, despite repeated insistence by DT, his campaign, his supporters, several press outlets, and even DT detractors claiming that use of a Blackberry by candidate Hillary Clinton when she was Secretary of State was grounds for disqualifying her from office. (Source 1: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/25/us/politics/president-trump-white-house.html?_r=2 Source 2: http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanwhitwam/2017/01/25/trump-reportedly-still-uses-an-unsecured-android-phone-heres-why-thats-a-problem/#5a9849592304)
- On January 25th, 2017, the New York Times reported that DT gathered congressional leaders in the State Dining Room to discuss, among other things, his belief that he lost the popular vote because of voter fraud. Provided as “proof” was an anecdote he says was from a friend of his, ‘“the very famous golfer, Bernhard Langer,” whom he described as a friend, according to three staff members who were in the room for the meeting.’ DT went on to say that Langer was in line to vote in Florida, when he was informed that he could not vote. “Ahead of and behind Mr. Langer were voters who did not look as if they should be allowed to vote, Mr. Trump said, according to the staff members — but they were nonetheless permitted to cast provisional ballots. The president threw out the names of Latin American countries that the voters might have come from.” Langer is a German citizen who is a permanent resident of the United States and would not be eligible to vote. His daughter has denied that he is friends with DT. (Source: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/25/us/politics/trump-bernhard-langer-voting-fraud.html)
- On January 25th, 2017, DT gave an absolutely unhinged and generally nonsensical interview with ABC television, in which he continuously avoided answering questions, denied saying things he is on record as saying, stated that the CIA loved his speech and gave him “the biggest standing ovation since Peyton Manning won the Super Bowl,” talked over the interviewer, repeatedly told the interviewer that he and his network were demeaning DT, called Chicago a war zone worse than Afghanistan and said, “I will send in what we have to send in. Maybe they're not gonna have to be so politically correct. Maybe they're being overly political correct. Maybe there's something going on,” and, once again, emphasized that he had a very large crowd at his inauguration, which, again, he did not. He continued to insist on this even when the interviewer stated, unequivocally, that he was not interested in the crowd size and tried to change the subject. While every bit of this interview is absolutely horrifying, the major takeaway for me, at the moment, is this:
DAVID MUIR: Mr. President, it does strike me though that we're relitigating the presidential campaign, the election ...
PRESIDENT TRUMP: No, no. We're looking at it for the next time.
DT essentially came out and explained that they are “looking at it” (voter fraud) for next time… obviously, to increase voter suppression laws to ensure his victory in the next election. This is EXTREMELY worrying. The entire interview is extremely worrying. (Source: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/transcript-abc-news-anchor-david-muir-interviews-president/story?id=45047602)
- On January 25th, 2017, responding to the executive order stripping federal funding for Sanctuary Cities, New York City mayor Bill de Blasio stated that he will not begin deporting law abiding, undocumented immigrants. One recalls the famous headline of the 70’s in which President Ford refused to send funds to New York City during the recession, only this time, it’s NYC to President: Drop Dead. :) (Source 1, de Blasio press conference overview: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/01/25/de-blasio-trump-order-stripping-funds-for-sanctuary-cities-does-not-change-who-we-are/ Source 2: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/28/nyregion/28veto.html)
THURSDAY, JANUARY 26TH, 2017
- On January 26th, 2017, Sean Spicer, White House Press Secretary, reportedly tweeted his Twitter password for the second time in 2 days. You will recall that Spicer said that John Podesta, head of the Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign, was irresponsible and deserved the hack for falling for a phishing scam. Spicer’s Twitter account also appears to be tied to a Gmail account-- AKA, a personal email account not on a government server. (Source 1: https://gizmodo.com/sean-spicer-just-tweeted-something-that-looks-an-awful-1791649692 Source 2, with video of Spicer blaming Podesta for hack on CNN: http://www.mediaite.com/online/none-of-this-would-have-happened-rnc-spox-blames-podesta-for-russian-hacking/ Source 3: https://twitter.com/Nash076/status/824656400320253959)
- On January 26th, 2017, the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists advanced the “Doomsday Clock” from 3 minutes to midnight to 2.5 minutes to midnight. The Doomsday Clock was conceived of by scientists who worked on the Manhattan Project as a way to indicate our closeness to nuclear war, but has since been used to represent multiple threats to humanity. The Doomsday Clock has not been moved for any specific governmental threat in decades, but was jumped from 5 minutes to 3 in 2015 as a reaction to climate change data. (Source: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/01/26/511592700/the-doomsday-clock-is-now-30-seconds-closer-to-midnight)
- On January 26th, 2017, DT will visit Philadelphia, where he will be met by a resistance group offshot of the Women’s March. (Source: https://www.facebook.com/events/1499649786715157/)
- On January 26th, 2017, DT called Private Chelsea Manning, who had had her sentence commuted by Barack Obama during the last days of his presidency, an “ungrateful TRAITOR, who should never have been released from prison,” for a not unmeasured article by the Private criticizing Obama for the compromises he made during his presidency. DT has frequently called Obama a weak, bad leader, during his campaign and for years before that, when not busy questioning the 44th President’s citizenship. It should also be noted that the verbiage was verbatim lifted from a Fox News segment, (Source 1, scroll down for DT’s tweet: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/26/us/politics/donald-trump-administration.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0, Source 2, Private Manning’s piece for the Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/25/compromise-doesnt-work-political-opponents-chelsea-manning)
- On January 26th, 2017, the entire senior staff of the State Department resigned rather than work for DT and Rex Tillerson. It is unclear whether Patrick Kennedy, undersecretary of management, and three of his top officials resigned of their own accord. (Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/josh-rogin/wp/2017/01/26/the-state-departments-entire-senior-management-team-just-resigned/?postshare=7891485447148486&tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.3f665f99ff59)
- On January 26th, 2017, President Enrique Peña Nieto of Mexico announced he would not be meeting with DT next week, after all, after DT’s excessive insistence that Mexico would pay for the border wall. (Source: https://twitter.com/EPN/status/824660333964824576)
- On January 26th, 2017, it was revealed by Twitter user @leahmcelrath that the @POTUS Twitter account used by DT is link to an unsecured Gmail account. (Source: https://twitter.com/leahmcelrath/status/824671531980718080)