Thursday, November 3, 2011

Support System


As much I'm tickled by how simple it has been to convert books to Kindle and Nook editions, I still try to support independent bookstores. After all, they were also stocking my books whenever possible, and helping other indie authors with promotions, book clubs, and events.

So it was with sadness that I heard about yet another LGBT bookstore closing, this time OutWrite Books in Atlanta.

So many have closed, yet others have figured out how to survive: online sales, discounts for members, welcoming author events, plus diversifying their stock with some mainstream items.

Giovanni's Room is one of the best. Back in 1999/2000 during my extensive book tour for PINS, I read at Giovanni's Room on my birthday on a night when a lovely snow fell upon Philadelphia.


And because of its history going back to 1973, the pioneering store might just also make an appearance in the possible sequel to Every Time I Think of You. Oops, that's a bit of a spoiler, eh?

Lambda Literary Foundation
has the most recently updated list of indie and LGBT-friendly bookstores in the U.S. and Canada. Do patronize them.

No comments:

Post a Comment